2007/07/22

finally, something worthwhile!

Most of you folks would have heard all the 11g hype: we've been bombarded with it for weeks now!

Almost all of it is just more marketing blurb, rehash of old functionality with a new gloss paint, same-old-same-old "you don't need no dbas" nonsense, etcetc.

However, IMHO this is truly amazing!

Thanks for pointing this out, Patrick. If it works indeed like this and Doug Burns says it does, it's the only thing I've seen so far in 11g that makes it worthwhile for me! It might indeed prove to be tremendously useful in convincing our development folks to look ait it for a future deployment.

For once, something that is truly useful! Instead of the usual "replace the dba with a ton of complexity" inane rubbish...





Anyways, been a while without some light stuff thrown in.

This little fella


showed up on our driveway this afternoon. For some reason I can't fathom it chased everyone else off including my daughter and her friends, yet allowed me to get so near I could literally touch it!



You might think they are harmless? Think again:


those two spurs can hurt real good, believe me! And yet, it just kept looking at me while I spent an entire roll of film on it and then followed up with some more digital images.
Go figure?


This:


was yesterday: Harry Potter mania at Borders in Maquarie Centre, one of my "bookworm haunts". I was lucky to go in very early: got out with the book long before this queue formed!


Fun weekend, this one.
Catchyalata, folks!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong Doug!

"It's another nice feature for people who like to do everything inside the database.

Doug

By dccase, at 16 July, 2007 19:37"

Mmmm, *another* Doug in the Oracle community? I'll need to do something about that ;-)

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:05:00 pm  
Blogger Noons said...

Bugger, I should have checked the link!

Anyways: what do you think of this litle feature?
I reckon it's an absolute ripper!

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

>> I reckon it's an absolute ripper!

Yep, the business requirement this addresses isn't going to go away, but a mass of app servers, messaging gateways and J2EE is not the only, or most desirable solution!

I think that's why Apex is becoming so popular at my site, anyway.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:23:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, possibly not in this first release, and allowing for the silly marketing name, that Total Recall business (Temporal DB, really) will solve a lot of common business problems too.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 10:26:00 pm  
Blogger Doug Case said...

Doug,

Sorry for being another Doug.
First Doug Gault and now this.

By the way, the native database web services almost made it into 10gR2. One mention of it was left in the documentation.

I've chatted with the developer. They're planning more improvements for future releases.

Now I'll slink back to the Apex forum where I'm usually the only Doug.

Doug Case

Sunday, July 22, 2007 11:47:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug,

The more the merrier ;-)

LOL

Cheers,

Doug

Monday, July 23, 2007 12:14:00 am  
Blogger Niall said...

I also think it'll be a pretty good feature - and likely since they've been working towards this since at least 9.2 it will work pretty well.

Niall

Monday, July 23, 2007 2:40:00 am  
Blogger Joel Garry said...

Saturday morning I went into a chain drug store to buy Laurie some birthday chocolates, and they were stacking the books onto a display next to the cash register. Only 3 customers in the whole store. I asked who died and they didn't know what I was talking about. I would have bought one except I knew Laurie and the kids were going later to the mob scene at a big bookstore to get the book they reserved weeks ago.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 11:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home